Sunday, February 12, 2006

7 Feb. - Jetlag & Merrowdown Annexe D2

Whew... where do I start. It has been a long three days, and I still haven't completely recovered from jet lag (even though I slept for over 15 hours Monday night!). It hasn't hit me yet that I'm here for the semester, that I'm actually here, that I won't be home for 4 months.

My home away from home... Merrowdown Annexe Flat D2. It's campus-owned but not on the main campus. It's nicely situated between town and the university campus, so either way is about a 15 minute walk. I was fortunate to get one of the Annexe rooms, which means I get my own bathroom! :)


here's my room:
I haven't finished unpacking yet. I've only taken one trip into town so far, where I bought some handwash, face cloths, air fresheners & scissors. I went to the register to purchase these items, and the cashier looked at me and said, "Are you 16?"
I, a bit surprised, hesitated and then, "yes..."
"Can I see some I.D?"
(I hand her my international student ID card.)
she looks it over. hands it back to me. "I have to ask, you know, because it's a sharp pointed object..."
"That's fine, I understand."
and sure enough, on the back of the package it says, "NOT FOR SALE TO PERSONS UNDER 16 YEARS OF AGE."
So there you have it. I could go to the pub across the street and buy a beer but I can't buy a pair of 49p scissors without getting carded

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home