Monday, February 13, 2006

13 Feb. - Classes Begin!

Today was the first day that "Modules" met. Here, the classes, or modules, only meet once a week: generally 1 hr. lecture followed by 1 hr. seminar. I took the University shuttle this morning to Francis Close Hall (which I talked about on an earlier post). FCH is the site of the Humanities departments, so most of my modules meet there. My first class was Psychology 101. There are 2 other BCA students in that class with me. The tutor (professor) is an interesting fellow-- he has 10 piercings on his face (yes, I counted...)
I think Psych will be alright.
Afterwards, we had lunch in the refectory (cafeteria) and I had some free time before I went to a writing module. It's called "Changing Stories: Writing & Rewriting", which is basically taking a "famous" piece of literature or storyline and recasting it in your own way... which doesn't sound too appealing to me. I didn't really like the way it seemed to me. It's okay, though, because the way BCA sets it up, I'm not really registered in any modules yet. They just told us to attend whatever modules we might be interested in taking this week, and then by the end of the week we can be signed in.
Tomorrow I am going to "Earth Processes & Landforms" and either "Screenwriting I" or "Crafting Fictions". Friday I will go to "19th Cent. American Literature" and "Playwriting". The plan is to be registered for 5 modules.

Today in the writing class, there was a short story the tutor wanted us to read aloud in class. So the paper was passed around the class and everyone read a portion. Naturally, I was the only non-Brit in the room. It was kind of intimidating to read in my very non-British, American voice, sticking out like a sore thumb. Not that I was ashamed, but I normally don't like to draw too much attention to myself... and there was no escaping the fact that their ears would perk up when they heard the change in droning reading voices. (you know how it is when a group of people take turns reading and you start to zone out because they all sound the same... and then someone with a very distinct voice reads and you snap out of it? yeah. like that.) Back home when I hear a British accent I think it's fascinating and I want to listen to it; but today it would have been nice to be reminded that there are people who talk like me! I'm sure the others thought nothing of it. But it's hard getting used to the fact that everywhere you go... whenever you open your mouth (sometimes you don't even have to)... people know you're a foreigner.
Nevertheless, it's good for me to be on the other side of the fence. After all, that's what I'm here for : )

5 Comments:

At Tue Feb 14, 05:47:00 AM GMT-7, Blogger Jeffrey & Bethany said...

Cool Anna. I'll be reading your every post ... www.mjaye.blogspot.com

 
At Wed Feb 15, 08:22:00 AM GMT-7, Blogger Christina said...

I will try to understand blogger...I do actually have an account, but it's for my online class so I don't use it that often, the pictures are fabulous!

 
At Wed Feb 15, 07:19:00 PM GMT-7, Blogger Christina said...

Oh Myra...you're fine, I understand that blogger let's you have more pictures...you didn't sound upset or whatever and I just added your site to my favorites!

 
At Fri Feb 17, 05:56:00 PM GMT-7, Blogger Jeffrey & Bethany said...

Hey Anna...the kiddos miss you. I am so glad you have the chance to make yourself uncomfortable for awhile...what a great opportunity. I am sure Big Mike is missing you something terrible, but how sweet it will be to see each other after those 4 long months. I will be nice to keep in touch with you through the wonderful world of blogging.

 
At Tue Feb 21, 12:49:00 PM GMT-7, Blogger Christina said...

Anna -- I haven't heard from you in a while and you haven't updated...I check back every single day!! Gimme something woman! I hope that you are having a good time!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home