Friday, March 17, 2006

17 March - St. Patty's Day, Cheltenham style

here's just a snapshot of my 2006 St. Patrick's Day experience. craziness.

a 3-legged dog named Jack, wearing a green sweater
a guy peeing on the streetcorner
2 bagpipers piping outside the entrance of a night club
a man (wearing a suitcoat), hitchhiking
a mob of people waiting for taxis
a girl dressed up in a black garbage bag
2 white limousines
an old man dancing an irish jig
a pregnant woman playing the fiddle
a drunk Irishman named Colin who wanted to hold my hand
a dozen or more pubs packed with people
pint after pint after pint of Guinness!

Steph and I went to the Irish Oak here in Cheltenham; they had live music and it was a lot of fun! though people kept asking us why we didn't look happy. probably because we were the only 2 people there not getting drunk...
It's funny because a lot of Irishmen are here for the week for the races. Makes for a more authentic St. Patrick's Day, I guess. After all, Ireland is only 200 miles away! that's about as far as the drive from Sparta to Chicago. craziness.

here's the Irish Oak on the inside:



and the band, about as authentic as they come (as close as we got to experiencing Ireland). They said they would be playing till 5 or 6 in the morning!



me & Steph. I know I don't look very happy in this picture but we had a great night! the music was fabulous, everyone was joinging in, singing, dancing, clapping, toe tapping...it was a fun atmosphere. :)
Click here to hear the music from a video clip I took from my camera! (unfortunately you have to sign up for a snapfish account to see it)

My only regret is that I have no picture of Jack. He will forever hold a special place in our hearts. here's to you, Jack.
Happy St. Patrick's day.

2 Comments:

At Fri Mar 24, 02:21:00 PM GMT-7, Anonymous Anonymous said...

it was a great night indeed....and jack made it just that much special!

 
At Sat Mar 25, 07:23:00 AM GMT-7, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Anna. I went into Chicago and stayed with Teresa. I was wearing all green and I didn't even know it was the holiday. It was quite funny.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home