Friday, February 24, 2006

22 Feb. - quick catch-up

So it's Wednesday night and here I am with my cup of peppermint tea, thinking how catch-up sounds like ketchup, and how its like gold here. If it's even provided, most places you have to pay for it. You can buy it in the supermarkets and stuff, but in terms of being available as a condiment, well, good luck, ketchup lovers. Don't plan on coming to Europe anytime soon. (Usually it's called 'tomato sauce' and it tastes different... its thicker or something.) Thankfully Molly had a bottle from Tesco on hand so we could have it with our fish & chips tonight.

Fish & Chips... whew. I'm still full. We went to a take-away (take-out) place on Bath Road, which is about a 20-minute walk from where we live. But apparently this place was good & cheap, and a few of us were feeling like we were missing part of the whole British experience without having eaten a meal of fish & chips.


Jake, Stephanie, Molly, Greg (all American BCA students) with our fish & chips. Notice the bottle of ketchup in the middle of the table...

Jake has been to this place before, and he warned us about the big portions, but when we got back and unwrapped our meals...


here's Molly in shock. what did I get myself into?

Molly & I are not big fish people. It's one of those things you just have to do; besides, anything battered & fried can taste good.
Yeah, we didn't finish our meals. I think the grease will be coating my stomach walls for a few days.

Well, you might be wondering... how is the food over there? I've heard it's not so good.
here's my take on the food so far:
  • pies & pasties are pretty popular. steak pies, pork pies, mince meat, lamb, you name it. you can find a nice variety in the fridge section at Tesco, and they are sometimes buy-one-get-one free. you can tell how I've been doing my grocery shopping.
  • since we are responsible for our own meals here, my meals have mainly consisted of normal "college student" cuisine. pizza, frozen stuff, pasta... you get the idea.
  • there isn't a cafeteria like the colleges back home. most students don't live on campus; actually only "first-year" students do. so that means no meal plan where you can just go in and get your card swiped. the cafe here, called the "refectory", is about it. we have some credit on our ID cards to use at the refectory but it's only enough for about 1 meal/day we are here. some of the BCA students have already written off the refectory, calling it "panini hell." they have cold subs (baguettes), a limited salad bar, various hot meals (the other day I had lamb & guinness stew, it was interesting) and paninis paninis paninis. cheddar & tomato, bacon & brie, pepperoni & mozarella, ham & cheese, coronation chicken... the panini possibilities are endless. sounds good, I'm sure, and they were at first. but ugh. I am on a nearly 1 1/2 week panini hiatus and I think I might be able to get one tomorrow and actually enjoy it.
  • Indian food is pretty popular, too; I might have mentioned that in an earlier post. it only sticks out to me when I see frozen chicken tikka meals & such in the TV-dinners section at the supermarket (I hang out in the freezer aisle a lot, ok? It's cheap.)
  • so far I've seen McDonald's, Burger King, Subway, KFC, and pizza hut here. My cousins were telling me that you see KFC knock-off's here too, with names like "Dallas Fried Chicken" or "Tennessee Fried Chicken". If you think about it, why would people here know the difference between Kentucky or Dallas or Tennessee?
    I bet you have to pay for the ketchup packets there, too.
********

In other news, I recently received word that my cousin Susanna had her baby!
here's my new cousin!

Belko (which means joy, happiness, hospitable in Fulani) John was born Tuesday the 21st and was 7lbs. 4oz. (I had a feeling it was a boy...) How exciting! : )

********

Well there's no way I'm going to be able to cover all the stuff I've done since my last post... but I do have a kind of funny story. It's definitely one of those culture-oops moments.

Last Saturday was the school disco, which means that everyone goes to the Student Union bar (the SU as we like to call it, or some say "sue"), dance, have some drinks, etc. You get the picture. Well, they (the students who go) also tend to go in costume.

Andy, a British student who lives in the building in front of mine, decided to go as the classic nerd. He just needed the finishing touches...
(Enter Andy into Merrowdown kitchen. Group of female American students are sitting around the table, just having finished dinner.)
ANDY: Does anyone have any braces?
GIRL 1: Yeah, the ones I keep in my back pocket...
(GIRLS laugh.)
GIRL 2: Why would we have braces?
GIRL 3: Oh, you mean like a retainer?
(GIRLS break into random sharing of orthodontic horror stories.)
ANDY: No one has like a belt or something I can hook on my pants? (draws imaginary line with hand from shoulder to waist)
GIRLS (in unison): Ohhhhh...
GIRL 2: You mean, like suspenders.
ANDY: Yeah, braces. We call them braces.
(GIRLS laugh hysterically.)

But thankfully Andy is used to our American-ness, and he and some of the other 'Brits' that live with us like to affectionately snicker when we talk about our movies, classes and make our miscellaneous mispronunciations.

They like us enough to hang around us, and I think Andy especially likes having all these American girls around...
here's Andy with some of the American girls (& 1 British)


Some of the girls helped him make some make-shift "braces" with brown packaging tape.

some of the GIRLS sitting in Merrowdown kitchen. (Jamie, Georgiana, me, Stephanie)


After dinner and after most people were off to the disco, Leslie, Molly, Stephanie & I decided to watch a movie.. err... film. But not until we acquiesced our chocolate craving. So we made a quick run to the convenience store at Texaco (yes, Texaco) across the street and bought some of the biggest swiss cake rolls you've ever seen!

Molly, me & Stephanie with our "choc' rolls"

Nothing like chocolate, friends & a good chick flick! It was a good ending to a great day (you'll have to click on the link of "pictures from my trip to Gloucester" on the right to see more! But I'll just leave you with this to make you want to check them out...)





Harry Potter was filmed here!

1 Comments:

At Sun Feb 26, 01:30:00 PM GMT-7, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I, Mom was okay with being left here until I saw the pics of the choc rolls! You’re right the phone booths are cute. Glad you are expanding your gourmet palate to include fish, who knows, could it be shrimp and lobster next? So how many packets of McD, Wendy's, or BK ketchup would you like? The economic potential could be endless...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home