Tuesday, May 02, 2006

2 May - wheaties : : me : : geomorphology

I'm going to Scotland!


I just finished buying my train tickets for when I go visit Gretchen (my former Wheaton suitemate) in Edinburgh, two weeks from today!

Also, Wheaton's Women's Chorale is touring Europe starting next week and they're stopping in London, which means I might get to meet up with my roommate Sarah, too. :) All kinds of Wheaton folk around these days. I'm super excited. I miss Wheaton (and Wheaties the most!) and waiting till fall to see anyone would be just painful.

Today I had a test in my "Earth Surface Processes & Landforms" module (yeah let's just call it geology from now on). Michelle, another BCA student, is in the class, too, and I'm sure glad I'm not the only one. Not only did the tutor point us out in front of the whole class at the beginning of the semester, but we're the only non-science majors, too. People kind of gave us funny looks when we told them that our majors were writing & social work. Then they ask why we're taking an enviromental science module... and it's kind of hard to explain the whole "liberal arts" curriculum and the idea of "gen eds". Because here you just take modules for your major or joint major.
All that to say, the course is geared toward geology majors... and it seems like a lot the students already know background stuff from A-levels or previous courses (even though this is just a level 1). Some of the stuff is pretty straightforward, but when it comes to memorising terms like tephra and pahoehoe and ablation and drumlin; and reading hydrographs and drawing diagrams of dunes... ohh doesn't that sound like fun?
I think I did alright on the test, though-- alright as in I think I passed. You only need a 40% to pass, and my grades don't count toward my GPA at Wheaton, so I'm not too concerned. But these days I worry that I'm not concerned enough! The system is so different that it has been easy for me to lose focus, unfortunately. Not different in the sense that I can't adjust, but that my academic habits are a little out of whack... I mean how often does your grade depend solely upon 1 paper and 1 exam back in the states?

There are 4 weeks left of lectures, then the next two weeks are reserved for exam scheduling, though I only have 2. So most of my modules (3/5) will be finished by the end of the month. It seems crazy to think that if I was back at Wheaton I would be finished by the end of this week! But it's also hard to believe the semester is winding down here, too. When you only have one lecture (per module) a week, it seems to go faster, I think.

Yes, there are a lot of things that I have come to appreciate even more about going to Wheaton. I always kind of wondered how I would like attending a secular college back home because there are times where Wheaton becomes overwhelming, too. But I guess now I have a better idea. I like it here; I love England-- but I would be much happier of the alcohol thing wasn't such a big deal. I'm getting sick of hearing about who was drunk when and where and about this party and that party and who did what with whom...
I guess that's just not my idea of fun. not at all, really.

That's why I would much rather go places like London and Edinburgh, and did I mention London?

By the way, I've posted half of my pictures from Spring Break-- Italy & Germany; Austria & Czech to come. Go ahead, take a peek!

and since I know you can't wait to Google all those fascinating geology terms, I will be generous enough to offer you this picture of "pahoehoe
" lava. it flows in rope-like patterns unlike "aa" lava which appears blocky on the surface. (at least I know I got that answer right!)

3 Comments:

At Tue May 02, 09:32:00 PM GMT-6, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Took the words out of my mouth, you did kiddo! I've been telling people you are taking a semester of travel in Europe with a little studying on the side. Hmmm. Maybe you could write my research paper for me and we could compare ideas, just to see how much we think alike? Love and miss you, but enjoy the Scotts. You know what they say about those kilts : ) -MOM

 
At Wed May 03, 12:32:00 PM GMT-6, Anonymous Anonymous said...

get me a picture of the lock-ness, ok?

 
At Fri May 05, 12:49:00 PM GMT-6, Blogger Christina said...

I miss you Anna and am looking forward to your return!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home