Friday, May 26, 2006

Just another day in Cheltenham

I am taking a break from writing one of the 3 essays I have yet to finish by Saturday. They are, however, the last three papers I will have to write this semester. Funny to think I've only written 3 other ones this semester. I really hope that when I get back to Wheaton I won't be completely shocked by a regular workload.
Oh, and good news-- I passed my geomorphology test :)
passed. good thing my grades don't 'count'...

This past week has been pretty uneventful. Doing work, or trying to. Sunday, however was a pretty good day. Steph & I went to the early service at Trinity and then I went out for Sunday roast with some people. Sunday carvery: roast dinner with lots of veggies including 3 kinds of potatoes, and Yorkshire pudding of course. Probably one of the more satisfying meals I've had since coming here (which I can probably count on one hand).


Then we went to the French Market on the Promenade... which would have been more enjoyable if it wasn't raining, but I suppose that would be expecting a little too much of England. Just had to make sure I didn't take someone out with my umbrella whilst browsing the croissants...



















It was fun, though. I bought some nectarines, and Molly bought a baguette-- it made us even more excited to
go to Paris!


I have come to looove open markets :)














(Well I guess it was more of a French/ Swiss market.)




The last few weeks of the semester are pretty much planned out. This Sunday, BCA is taking us to Cardiff, Wales again, but this time to see a football match. Cheltenham town football club has made it to the finals-- I haven't been following it really, but the match is at Millennium Stadium so that's kind of a big deal.

Monday is another 'Bank Holiday' here in the UK, coincidentally on Memorial Day. I'll probably go down to the watch the Cheese Rolling races here in Gloucestershire (I hear it's on ESPN, too) to watch a bunch of people roll down a steep hill chasing a 7-lb. cheese. hah.

Wednesday I'll venture into London yet again. I'm going to see Mel Brooks' musical, The Producers, which will fulfill my interest in seeing a West End show.

Sometime before I leave I will probably see my family once more. A couple other trips to Oxford and Stratford-Upon-Avon might be in there somewhere too, but we'll see.

And in three weeks I'll be packing up... how am I going to get everything home? How am I going to get myself home is the real question.

Today at my last lecture of the semester, I was talking to a couple British girls and they asked if I was wanting to go back. It's hard to answer, really, because I miss a lot of things (and people) about home, but it's also intimidating to think about, because it means adjusting all over again. Talk about a catch-22. Life here has become so normal. We'll see how reverse culture shock goes...
there's so much more I could say, but it probably wouldn't make much sense, and I don't even know where to start.

ciao for now

p.s. stay tuned for another good list... it's a long one but worth it I hope :)

3 Comments:

At Fri May 26, 06:37:00 PM GMT-6, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you better go to those cheese rolling races! take some pics for me. :)

 
At Sat May 27, 10:25:00 AM GMT-6, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Can I just say that you sound really English....with the word "really". It's so cute!

 
At Mon May 29, 08:14:00 AM GMT-6, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Should I start planning the "only home for 2.5 mos." menu? Wow I feel a little culinary expectation but it will be nice to enjoy some of your cooking again too! Miss you and counting down with you.

Go cheese chasers!

Love, MOM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home