Monday, May 08, 2006

£

£1 coins

What is the origin of the pound sign (£)?
This sign is simply a capital letter L, written in old-fashioned roundhand, with one or two crossbars to show that it is being used as a symbol or abbreviation. The L stands for the Latin word libra, the name of a Roman unit of weight, which also gave rise to the abbreviation lb for a pound as a measure of weight, and to the French word livre. (www.askoxford.com)

and... I'll have you know that the exchange rate is not my friend these days... 1 USD = 0.538404 GBP which means that I really do have to double all the price tags now. :P
Before, I would tell myself -- well it's really not quite double -- but so much for that! of course I had to choose the most expensive country to study abroad...

1 Comments:

At Tue May 09, 10:54:00 AM GMT-6, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Funny those coins got me thinking about chocolate. Guess it doesn't take much? Glad you're at least excercising your brain by doing all that math. Speaking of European money: I keep hitting that annoying Euro symbol on my laptop keyboard. They put it next to the enter and shift key.
--MOM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home